Thursday, October 16, 2008

Badminton - Lost Love...Found (yet again)

After a hiatus of many years (could never decide on the best method to count the years) I have stepped on the courts again. The feeling is simply great!
My affair with Badminton started five and a score (always wanted to sound like Lincoln) years ago in the town of Western Uttar Pradesh (India) called Meerut where we used to play on one open court in the colony. The court was cemented and falls were particularly nasty, some of them still painful to remember. Continued to play off and on in college and beyond till mid nineties when an injury to the eye put an abrupt stop to it. Due to traumatic cataract developed in left eye, as a result of the injury I wasn't able to sight the shuttle accurately - parallax Disheartened, I quit playing and went on to other pursuits (story for some other day).
This June when I moved my apartment to Highland Park, NJ I found a Badminton club near my complex and decided to give it a shot. Tentative the first day, I was surprised that I could spot the shuttle reasonably accurately. I guess over the years the eyes got used to the cataract and started compensating for some of the parallax. Of course being out of shape (unless you call round a shape too) does pose a few problems.
However here I am again playing Badminton, enjoying it not like I used to when I was about 50 pounds lighter but reasonably well.
Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained

2 comments:

Atul said...

welcome to the blogging world, Manu. :-) interesting reading ...

Manu Goyal said...

Thank you sir!